Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Conroy calls for more debates

Last night's debate coverage can be seen at:

Capital News 9

WTEN

"After last night's debate, we know why Harry has rejected repeated requests to defend his administration's record in front of his own constituents through a debate. He has nothing to say.

When asked by a voter what the most important issue facing Troy is, Harry responded with a 90 second explanation that violent crime in Troy isn't really that bad. As proof, he offered that a lot of people have police officer's cell phone numbers. Meanwhile, over three years (a rather long snapshot in time), violent crime in Troy is up 25% and down throughout the state and in the rest of the Capital Region.

When asked about providing assistance for the less fortunate in our City, Harry offered that he wants to move more people out of public housing into other communities and then they can get jobs cleaning hotel bathrooms in the proposed hotel on Hoosick Street or waiting tables at a downtown Troy restaurant.

I guess we'll never understand Harry's answers because he refuses to meet in front of his own constituents again.

There are three weeks until the election. I propose that we meet once a week in a different part of the City so that the voters can really understand the difference between the current administration and my vision for a Troy that is united for growth and prosperity.

I'm sure that my opponent won't join me in the opportunity to speak directly to his own constituents so I will continue my campaign’s efforts to meet directly with my neighbors and discuss the real problems facing Troy and how we can overcome them."